Wednesday, April 23, 2008

The Goods

So, before I so rudely interrupted the tales of my journey to England, I was detailing our exploits....

I should say that about a week before I flew, I took my girls to Target and Trader Joe's to fill a suitcase for the trip. Lest you misunderstand, it is not me who has difficulting living without the wares these stores provide. I was presented with a wish list by my friend, who had spent more than a decade living in the states and had gotten quite attached to some of the things she can only get here. Certain cleaning products that make her life significantly easier can only be purchased at Target. Our favorite Weight Watchers indulgence, Junior Mints, simply do not exist in the UK. And let's don't forget the children. Packets of macaroni and cheese are pretty hard to come by, at least those that are as inexpensive and tasty as Trader Joe's brand. And Laffy Taffy? Forget about it. Cheerios? The ones you get in England are super-sweet and hard to stomach if you've been brought up eating American-style ones.

I was more than happy to arrive bearing a suitcase stocked with comfort items. My girls were thrilled to be included in the shopping, especially because they weren't joining me on the trip. Unbeknownst to me, Bubba packed a little something extra in my suitcase, too. I was so busy visiting and soaking up every minute of time I spent with my friends that I didn't even notice until Day 3. By then, we were on our way to spend the day at Brighton Beach and I decided to bring him along. Yup, "him." Apparently, Bubba worried that I might find myself a bit lonely, so he tucked a very naked male Barbie doll into my luggage.

From walking the pier to playing the carnival games, riding the rides and gorging ourselves on cotton candy and fish and chips, naked Barbie man had a terrific time. To cap the day, we headed for the rocky beach to sift through the wave-worn pebbles and look for treasures.





Because the kids had such a tremendous time posing him and taking photos, I left him behind for an extended stay. So far, I hear he's been to Legoland for some more adventure. I can only hope they take him shopping for pants at some point....
----------------------------------------------------
Although we spent a lot of our time traveling and acting like tourists, the part of my trip that I enjoyed the most was spending time with everyone just hanging out. The kids honored me by requesting that I read them bedtime stories and help tuck them in. We played at the park together and made up goofy jokes. Tulip sat in my lap on the couch time and again, despite the fact that she grew too big for that about three years ago. I have known these amazing creatures since the day they were born and getting to spend time with them, listening to them laugh, helping prepare their meals, chasing them on the playground, and listening to their voices as they talked to each other after they'd been put to bed was absolutely priceless.
Oh, so was the ride back to the airport, but you'll have to stay tuned for that....

8 comments:

Carrie Wilson Link said...

I remember you saying you married Bubba because he made you laugh. I can see why. LOL! LOVE the pictures!!!!! Great story!

Some of my favorite vacations are the ones where I've gone to visit other families, been part of their lives in an intimate way, like you described. Priceless. Can't book a trip like that with a travel agent!

Deb said...

What's with Ken's long hair? Thanks for the laugh and for sharing this amazing trip. Looking forward to the next installment.

Eileen said...

I love hearing about your trip. I also love hearing about how your family helped get you "ready" with love. So sweet and funny.

The Ken doll reminded me our trip across America. David's principal had a plastic wrestling figure (huge muscles) she loved and kept on her desk. I have no idea why. He stole it and took it with us, we took pictures of it in front of all of America's landmarks (Yellowstone, Mt. Rushmore, Hollywood sign, Grand Caynon, etc.) He made a slide show for her, with music when we returned, with her thing, safe and sound. It was funny but what was even funnier was the strange looks we got from people when we were posing and taking the pictures.
XOXO

paul maurice martin said...

Seems like all those "little" kinds of details are the best things looking back -

Jess said...

So glad you had a great trip!!

But yeah, I'm with Deb, wondering how Ken got long hair. Guess I haven't seen Ken in a long time.

Michelle O'Neil said...

Is that naked Barbie man's last name Bobbit by any chance?

Jerri said...

Love that Bubba. He's almost as perfect as naked Barbie boy. But with better plumbing, I'm guessing.

Great pictures and a wonderful story. Can't wait for the next installment.

Miss Devylish said...

Oh I miss them. I'm so glad you could spend time w/ them. What a joy and something important to do for yourself. I'm glad you left the doll. ;) xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...